Marking Articles as Stale
Whether you're an engineer marking outdated articles based on a product update or part of the customer support team reminding yourself to update some information, marking an article as stale can keep your product & articles in sync and visitors happy.
Mark as Stale
- Head to the outdated article
- In the article editor, click Set Stale
- Click Set immediately
- Your article is now marked as stale for your whole team to see
Mark Stale in the future
You might know an article will go stale at a certain time in the future, or you might just like to know when it's getting a little old and take a look to see if it's still relevant. You can set an article to go stale in the future. There are a few options for this:
- In 30 days
- In 6 months
- In a year
- Custom date
Adding a reason for Stale
If you have multiple team members editing articles, it's pretty useful to know why and article is set to Stale. By adding a reason, you can leave a hint about what needs to be updated for others to pick up.
- Head to your Stale article
- Within the message, click Add new reason
- Click Save Reason to update
Good question! Our Stale robot automatically adds this reason when Stale is activated.
Keeping an article as Stale on save
There may be a time when you're quickly updating part of an article but you know there is still outdated information within the content.
To prevent an article being marked as fresh when saved, toggle Remain Stale on Save and it'll stay Stale.
How to tell if an article has gone stale
You and your team will see a few pointers to an article having gone stale.
- The article will have a yellow background and stale badge in the Content table
- In the article editor, you'll see a message above the editor
Keep articles fresh with weekly stale emails
You can keep on top of stale articles by subscribing to stale email reports. In these reports, you'll get a quick summary of:
- How many stale articles are in your account
- Which articles are newly stale this week
Here's how to opt-in:
- Head to your profile (or click here)
- Toggle on Send me weekly Stale emails