Article Backups, Revisions and Versioning
HelpDocs is designed to be used as a team. But sometimes when you have a lot of users working on an article, things get messed up. Or you delete something you shouldn't have. Or make a change you regret.
That's why HelpDocs ships with non-destructive version control.
When you or your teammates hit save, we'll save a new version of the article. Then if you need to, you can browse previous versions and restore to any point in time.
For every version we save:
- Its version number
- A unique id to prevent collisions (something you'll never directly use)
- The article body
- The user_id of the user that's making the change
We also give you a button to instantly restore the article to its previous state.
Browsing and Restoring Versions
- In the article editor, click x versions in the bottom left to head to the versions panel
- You'll see all the saved versions as tabs at the top of the screen. Click one to select it.
- To restore the version, hit Restore