Setting Up a Custom Domain
Logging In To Your HelpDocs
Setting the URL Style for your Articles
Understanding Smart 404 Pages
The HelpDocs Trial
Adding or Changing Your Profile Image
Switching Between Multiple Accounts
Understanding Top Articles
Writing and Editing Articles
Using Quote Blocks
Using Markdown Blocks
Embedding Audio Files
Using Code Blocks
Adding an HTML Block
Getting Started with Content Blocks
Moving an Article to a Different Category
Text Editor Shortcuts
Adding Note, Tip, and Warning Callouts
Switching the Editor Mode
Adding Tags to Articles
Using Ordered Lists
Adding GIFs to Articles
Understanding Article Statuses
Article Backups, Revisions, and Versioning
Inserting Images into Ordered Lists
Delete a Category
Downloading Articles to PDF
Hiding Articles from Public Search Engines
Exporting & Backing Up Your Articles
Linking to a Part of an Article
Understanding Search Results
Creating a Subcategory
Adding a Table of Contents
Featuring an Article
Restoring Deleted Articles
Creating Draft Versions of Published Articles with Working Copy
Bulk Select & Edit Multiple Articles
What is Readability?
Incompatible Browser Extensions
Collaborating on Articles with Presence
Editing Category Metadata
Setting Up Integrations
Installing the Slack Integration
Sharing Articles From HelpDocs to Slack
Configuring Your Slack Integration
Available Commands in Your Slack Workspace
Get Feedback, Activity, and Contact Form Notifications in Slack
Using HelpDocs with Ticketing Systems
Adding a Feedier Carrier
Connecting Google Analytics
Syncing Content to elevio
Connecting Gainsight PX
Enabling Comments with Disqus
Customizing your HelpDocs
How to Change the Logo Link
Disabling Top Articles
Using a Background Image in the Header
Making Tables Scroll When They're Too Wide for the Page
Making Video Embeds Responsive
Using HelpDocs with RTL Languages
Adding Lightboxes to Images
Add HTML Before the Closing Body Tag
Customizing Feedback Icons
Disabling Authorship and Updated Times
Overriding the Font on Your Knowledge Base
Getting Help with Code Snippets
Using Different List Styles
Disabling Related Articles
Making Your Printed HelpDocs Look Nicer
How to Add Extra Spacing
Custom HTML Templates
Testing Customizations with .dev
Understanding the Contact Form
Adding Cookie Consent
Adding Custom Navigation Links
Setting a Custom Favicon
Hiding the Contact Button
Changing the Language in Common Phrases
Setting Article Display Order
Setting Category Display Order
Adding Custom CSS
Uploading Your Brand Logo
Featuring a Category
Customizing an Article Slug, Meta Description & Short Version
Adding Icons to Categories
Hosting HelpDocs at a Subfolder of Your Site
Adding an Open Graph Fallback Image
Adding URL Redirects
Choosing a Template
Automatically Translate Articles with Machine Translations
Setting Up Multilingual Docs
Translating Your Docs
Removing Permission Groups from Articles
Assigning Permission Groups to Articles
Assigning Default Permission Groups to Categories
Creating and Managing Permission Groups
Getting Started with Permissioning
Restricting Your Docs to Logged In Users
Configuring Slack Single Sign On
Shared Password Protection
Accessing User Data in HelpDocs
Restricting Your Docs by IP
Using OpenID Connect for Single Sign On
Setting Up and Using SAML Single Sign-On
Restricting your HelpDocs with Custom JWT SSO
Data & Analytics
What are Tickets Avoided?
Getting Team Event History with Audit Trail
Search Click Analytics
What is the Happiness Score?
Exporting Your Stats
Lighthouse Widget API
Adding Lighthouse Trigger Buttons to Webflow
Invoices and Email Receipts
Updating Your Billing Information
Changing Your Plan
Subscribing to a Plan for the First Time
Cancelling Your Account
Tax Residency Certificates and Forms
European Union VAT Charges
Can I host my internal docs in HelpDocs?
Can I use multiple HelpDocs accounts together?
Help! My app's not loading 😭
I've added a script but it isn't working
I’m seeing a blank screen when I load my knowledge base
Can I migrate or import my data from another service?
HelpDocs Support Policy
Can I embed files into HelpDocs?
My article has a blank space to the left of it. What's wrong?
Can I change the HelpDocs branding?
One of my headings isn't showing in the table of contents
Who counts towards the user limit on plans?
Is my data secure and protected?
How do I reset my password?
Help! No articles are appearing on my knowledge base
I can't log into my HelpDocs account
What is an account slug?
Can I host my API docs in HelpDocs?
How do related articles work?
Is HelpDocs GDPR compliant?
How do I change my email?
Will translated articles be deleted if I remove that language?
Optimizing Your Knowledge Base for Search
Writing Clear and Digestible Knowledge Base Articles
Finding CSS Selectors in Your Browser
Clearing the Cache in Your Browser
Creating a Knowledge Base from Scratch
Table of Contents
Updated by Jake Peters
Sure! You can either set 'em up in a separate Knowledge Base all together or keep 'em all in one Knowledge Base and restrict certain content.
Using multiple Knowledge Bases
If you wanna keep your internal and external articles completely separate having multiple Knowledge Bases is a great option. For example:
If you're an eCommerce business you might want:
- An external Knowledge Base for customer questions about shipping, products, and returns
- An internal Knowledge Base for policies, onboarding new employees, and general company information
You don't need your operations manager updating customer support docs but they probably wanna create vacation policies. Vice versa you don't need your support team updating your hiring processes. What's that saying about "too many cooks in the kitchen?" 👩🍳
- Completely separate articles and categories on each account
- Completely separate user management so you can invite the right people to the right account
- Switch between accounts easily with the account switcher
- Support teams aren't able to search for both internal & external docs in one place
- Can't have groups of people with access to different docs
- Higher maintenance cost for multiple accounts because you need to keep them both updated
Hiding your articles from the public
You'll want to restrict your docs from the public to make sure they're only seen internally. There are two ways that you can do this.
- Invite your whole team to HelpDocs and restrict the frontend to logged in users only You can use the Read Only role if you don't want your team to see the HelpDocs dashboard or edit articles
- Use shared password protection and, well, share the password with your team You can even cookie your team members in your internal dashboard so they don't need to also log in to HelpDocs
Restricting content in one Knowledge Base
Having all your content live in one Knowledge Base is helpful for organizations with multiple teams or if you need to keep your articles all together in the same place.
If you're a SaaS company you might have multiple teams that need access to specific articles:
- Your marketing team needs to be able to see partner-related documents
- Your development team needs to have access to certain processes
- Your support team needs to update customer front facing docs but also access internal docs to help answer tickets
When there's a lot of moving pieces it's easier to manage by keeping everything in one Knowledge Base. Then you can restrict the content by permission group 👀
- All internal and external facing articles in one place with one URL for your team to visit
- Greater control over content visibility
- Restrict content to an individual user, a group of users, or a role of user
- Helpful for organizations with multiple teams
- Time investment in setting up groups
How to restrict your articles
There are two ways that you can restrict your articles in one account.
- Use Permissioning to group internal articles while keeping public articles in the same account You can create an internal group and then add users to restrict access just to them
- Use JWT authentication to restrict access with a token You can customize your JWT token to do some pretty interesting stuff