Setting or Updating the Name in Your Profile
Can I Schedule a Demo?
The HelpDocs Trial
Setting Up a Custom Domain
Setting the URL Style for your Articles
Switching Between Multiple Accounts
Adding or Changing Your Profile Image
Logging In To Your HelpDocs
Understanding Smart 404 Pages
Understanding Top Articles
Writing and Editing Articles
Adding an HTML Block
Using Markdown Blocks
Using Code Blocks
Getting Started with Content Blocks
Using Quote Blocks
Using Ordered Lists
Moving an Article to a Different Category
Inserting Images into Ordered Lists
Adding Note, Tip, and Warning Callouts
Switching the Editor Mode
Adding Tags to Articles
Article Backups, Revisions, and Versioning
Understanding Article Statuses
Text Editor Shortcuts
Deleting an Article
What is Readability?
Collaborating on Articles with Presence
Adding a Table of Contents
Restoring Deleted Articles
Editing Category Metadata
Exporting & Backing Up Your Articles
Hiding Articles from Public Search Engines
Delete a Category
Downloading Articles to PDF
Featuring an Article
Creating Draft Versions of Published Articles with Working Copy
Incompatible Browser Extensions
Bulk Select & Edit Multiple Articles
Creating a Subcategory
Understanding Search Results
Linking to a Part of an Article
Using help.new to Create Articles
Setting Up Integrations
Available Commands in Your Slack Workspace
Get Feedback, Activity, and Contact Form Notifications in Slack
Installing the Slack Integration
Sharing Articles From HelpDocs to Slack
Configuring Your Slack Integration
Connecting Google Analytics
Connecting Gainsight PX
Using HelpDocs with Ticketing Systems
Adding a Feedier Carrier
Syncing Content to elevio
Enabling Comments with Disqus
Connecting Sunshine Conversations
Customizing your HelpDocs
Making Video Embeds Responsive
Disabling Authorship and Updated Times
Getting Help with Code Snippets
Disabling Top Articles
Using Different List Styles
Using HelpDocs with RTL Languages
Disabling Related Articles
Overriding the Font on Your Knowledge Base
Using a Background Image in the Header
Making Tables Scroll When They're Too Wide for the Page
How to Change the Logo Link
How to Add Extra Spacing
Adding Lightboxes to Images
Add HTML Before the Closing Body Tag
Customizing Feedback Icons
Making Your Printed HelpDocs Look Nicer
Condense Top Article Spacing on Bars V4
Custom HTML Templates
Understanding the Contact Form
Changing the Language in Common Phrases
Hiding the Contact Button
Customizing an Article Slug, Meta Description & Short Version
Adding Custom CSS
Setting Article Display Order
Adding Custom Navigation Links
Setting a Custom Favicon
Setting Category Display Order
Uploading Your Brand Logo
Adding URL Redirects
Featuring a Category
Adding Icons to Categories
Hosting HelpDocs at a Subfolder of Your Site
Adding an Open Graph Fallback Image
Choosing a Template
Testing Customizations with .dev
Adding Cookie Consent
Automatically Translate Articles with Machine Translations
Understanding Multilingual Translation
Setting Up Multilingual
Getting Started with Permissioning
Assigning Permission Groups to Categories
Assigning Permission Groups to Articles
Creating and Managing Permission Groups
Removing Permission Groups from Articles
Setting Up and Using SAML Single Sign-On
Restricting your HelpDocs with Custom JWT SSO
Using OpenID Connect for Single Sign On
Configuring Slack Single Sign On
Restricting Your Docs to Logged In Users
Shared Password Protection
Accessing User Data in HelpDocs
Data & Analytics
Getting Team Event History with Audit Trail
Understanding Articles Clicked
What are Tickets Avoided?
Exporting Your Stats
What is the Happiness Score?
Integrating Lighthouse with Live Chat Providers
Lighthouse Widget API
Adding Lighthouse Trigger Buttons to Webflow
Updating Your Billing Information
Cancelling Your Account
Invoices and Email Receipts
European Union VAT Charges
Subscribing to a Plan for the First Time
Changing Your Plan
Tax Residency Certificates and Forms
Can I use multiple HelpDocs accounts together?
Who counts towards the user limit on plans?
How do I change my email?
Can I migrate or import my data from another service?
Can I Change the HelpDocs Branding?
Can I have a single article appear in multiple categories?
Can I host my internal docs in HelpDocs?
I’m seeing a blank screen when I load my knowledge base
Is my data secure and protected?
Help! No articles are appearing on my knowledge base
What is an account slug?
How do I reset my password?
I've added a script but it isn't working
Help! My app's not loading 😭
I can't log into my HelpDocs account
Can I embed files into HelpDocs?
How do related articles work?
Can I host my API docs in HelpDocs?
Is HelpDocs GDPR compliant?
Will translated articles be deleted if I remove that language?
My Article Has a Blank Space to the Left. What's Wrong?
One of my headings isn't showing in the table of contents
I'm getting 'Your connection is not private' on my custom domain
HelpDocs Support Scope
How do I publish an article that's not available in the default language?
Why isn't my contact form showing up?
Creating a Knowledge Base from Scratch
Optimizing Your Knowledge Base for Search
Finding CSS Selectors in Your Browser
Clearing the Cache in Your Browser
Writing Clear and Digestible Knowledge Base Articles
Table of Contents
Updated by Jake Peters
Sure! You can either set 'em up in a separate Knowledge Base all together or keep 'em all in one Knowledge Base and restrict certain content.
Using Multiple Knowledge Bases
If you wanna keep your internal and external articles completely separate having multiple Knowledge Bases is a great option. For example:
If you're an eCommerce business you might want:
- An external Knowledge Base for customer questions about shipping, products, and returns
- An internal Knowledge Base for policies, onboarding new employees, and general company information
You don't need your operations manager updating customer support docs but they probably wanna create vacation policies. Vice versa you don't need your support team updating your hiring processes. What's that saying about "too many cooks in the kitchen?" 👩🍳
- Completely separate articles and categories on each account
- Completely separate user management so you can invite the right people to the right account
- Switch between accounts easily with the account switcher
- Support teams aren't able to search for both internal & external docs in one place
- Can't have groups of people with access to different docs
- Higher maintenance cost for multiple accounts because you need to keep them both updated
Hiding your articles from the public
You'll want to restrict your docs from the public to make sure they're only seen internally. There are two ways that you can do this.
- Invite your whole team to HelpDocs and restrict the frontend to logged in users only You can use the Read Only role if you don't want your team to see the HelpDocs dashboard or edit articles
- Use shared password protection and, well, share the password with your team You can even cookie your team members in your internal dashboard so they don't need to also log in to HelpDocs
Restricting content in one Knowledge Base
Having all your content live in one Knowledge Base is helpful for organizations with multiple teams or if you need to keep your articles all together in the same place.
If you're a SaaS company you might have multiple teams that need access to specific articles:
- Your marketing team needs to be able to see partner-related documents
- Your development team needs to have access to certain processes
- Your support team needs to update customer front facing docs but also access internal docs to help answer tickets
When there's a lot of moving pieces it's easier to manage by keeping everything in one Knowledge Base. Then you can restrict the content by permission group 👀
- All internal and external facing articles in one place with one URL for your team to visit
- Greater control over content visibility
- Restrict content to an individual user, a group of users, or a role of user
- Helpful for organizations with multiple teams
- Time investment in setting up groups
How to restrict your articles
There are two ways that you can restrict your articles in one account.
- Use Permissioning to group internal articles while keeping public articles in the same account You can create an internal group and then add users to restrict access just to them
- Use JWT authentication to restrict access with a token You can customize your JWT token to do some pretty interesting stuff